The Third Wave Lab is part of the Mathematics, Science and Technology Education Academic Group within the Melbourne Graduate School of Education, at The University of Melbourne, Australia. It stimulates and coordinates research studies undertaken by research teams based in more than 20 jurisdictions around the world, with the common approach of harnessing the motivational construct of values to improve mathematics and numeracy teaching and learning.
Inspired by the pioneering work of Prof Alan BISHOP in the late 1980s, and founded by Prof Wee Tiong SEAH in 2008, the Third Wave Lab builds and strengthens teacher and learner capacity to develop values to more fully exploit their cognitive functions and affective modes in mathematics/numeracy education. This involves
- generating new knowledge on how values and valuing facilitate the development and growth of knowledge, skills and dispositions relating to mathematics / numeracy education,
- developing and supporting the next generation of graduate researchers who will be skilled and ready to facilitate effective mathematics / numeracy education incorporating the values approach,
- disseminating the research publications and resources generated by our research teams from all corners of the globe,
- providing and supporting professional learning programs that are customised to local needs in mathematics / numeracy education,
- stimulating and facilitating public discussion such as through academic seminars and the discussion forum.
To stay informed of news, discussions and upcoming events, click ‘subscribe’ near the lower right corner below.